© 2022 KPCW

KPCW
Spencer F. Eccles Broadcast Center
PO Box 1372 | 460 Swede Alley
Park City | UT | 84060
Office: (435) 649-9004 | Studio: (435) 655-8255

Music & Artist Inquiries: music@kpcw.org
News Tips & Press Releases: news@kpcw.org
Volunteer Opportunities
General Inquiries: info@kpcw.org
Listen Like a Local Park City & Heber City Summit & Wasatch counties, Utah
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Local News
Park City
Everything to do inside of Park City proper.

Multiple People Experience Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Park City Residence

PCFD-Engine-36-The-Truck-1.jpg
Park City Fire Department
/

  Park City Fire Department responded to a call where nine members of a group experienced symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

 

  

The fire department responded to a call Saturday morning near the base of Canyons Village. Battalion Chief Darren Nelson said a couple of families were staying in the residence for the holidays. 

Nelson said residents in the house reported have symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

"Multiple people in the house reported having headaches or dizziness, and then a couple of the children had been sick, like to the point that they were almost unconscious and really sick to their stomach with nausea and vomiting," Nelson said.

He said when the crew investigated they found high levels of CO in the house, which were particularly high in the basement near the utility room. 

"There were no CO detectors in the home," he said. "So that also added to the problem, if they had, if it had gone longer without people waking up and starting to put two and two together, it could have been a really sad situation."

Nelson said there’s a greater risk of CO poisoning in the winter because heaters are running and vents can be blocked off by snow build up. 

The best way to avoid CO poisoning, he said, is to make sure all gas appliances have been inspected and he suggests setting up personal CO detectors around the house.