A Death In Edelweiss House And Another In Big Cottonwood

Apr 10, 2020

Credit Geologyutah.gov

On Thursday, Park City Police reported a death in a condominium complex near Park City Mountain. On Wednesday, a Park City man was rescued from a fall while climbing in Big Cottonwood Canyon, but he succumbed to injuries while in route to the hospital.

A 22-year-old male visiting from Austin, Texas was found dead in a unit in the Edelweiss House located at 1482 Empire Avenue Thursday at 11:07 A.M. A friend had gone to the victim’s apartment and found the man deceased. The Police Report says there was no sign the death was related to COVID-19.

Park City resident, Wade Joseph Meade was rock climbing in the Storm Mountain area of Big Cottonwood Canyon on Wednesday. A friend contacted police dispatch at 3:15. Rescuers responded but Salt Lake Unified Police Sargent Melodie Gray says he was in an area they could not access on foot.  Salt Lake County Search and Rescue brought in a helicopter which was used to hoist him out of the remote area and bring him to the waiting ambulance.

“Wade and his friend were up above Storm Mountain climbing and Wade had reached up to grab a rock and the rock pulled away from the wall, resulting in him falling approximately 50 feet. His friend called the department and we had our search and rescue go out unfortunately they weren't able to hike in. They had to call in helicopter. We brought in one of our search and rescue members via helicopter. They were hoisting Wade out to the area, up to the road to a waiting ambulance. He was deceased prior to them being able to get him to that ambulance."

Sargent Gray says Meade was roped in when he fell and had the appropriate climbing gear for the outing. She says he was an experienced outdoorsman.

Meade died at 5:35 P.M. while being transferred off the mountain. He was 29-years old.

Meade’s Facebook indicates he was a ski patroller at Park City Mountain since 2017.

The exact cause of death will be determined by the state medical examiner.