Park City Fire Works Ban In Effect June 22 Until Furthur Notice
Park City Council banned fireworks starting today, Friday, June 22. Last winter, the Central Wasatch Mountains had very low snow pack and the hot, dry spring has Park City’s Emergency Teams concerned about fire danger. There are some hefty consequences for breaking the ban. Carolyn Murray has this:
City Council member, Becca Gerber says the council’s decision to ban fireworks was a no brainer.
Park City Emergency Manager, Mike McComb told KPCW the fire at Brian Head Resort last year is an example that should scare people into abiding by the open burn restrictions. The person who started the fire was burning weeds on their property and now has been charged with reckless burning, a class A misdemeanor and failing to notify authorities or obtain a permit before burning which is a Class B misdemeanor. Park City Chief Building Official, David Thacker says anything that emits heat can be dangerous in these hot, dry, windy conditions.
“Anything can be dangerous. Anything that creates heat or emits heat…the exhaust on some of those weed eaters can be dangerous and the possibility of creating sparks so always use caution in the outdoors and make sure you’re aware of your surroundings.”
The July 4th fireworks show at Park City Mountain Resort has a permit from the City and will go on as scheduled. There’s a lot of coordination with the resort to make sure there’s enough defensible space in the area where the shrapnel lands.
“So House Bill 38 gives us the authority to make those decisions. The state does have some regulations behind that and we need to adhere to it however we as a municipality have the authority to make the decision.”
State law prevents banning the sale of fireworks even when a municipality bans the use of them.
So the state did up the ability for us to issue citations and they can see a citiation up to $1000.00 per event if they should be caught and cited.” Mike: “Add to that any party that incurs cost, can seek restitution as well.”
Outdoor fire pits or stationary chimneys are permitted but first have to be approved by the fire district. They can’t approve portable fire pits. Thacker says they’re happy to talk through any considerations residents may have.
He says everyone should sign up at parkcityalerts.com or summitcountyalerts.com which keeps people aware of emergencies. Call 435-615-5400 for questions and visit with guidelines at parkcity.org