Wasatch County Teen Arrested After Breaking Into Heber State Liquor Store

Sep 9, 2019

A Wasatch County resident has been arrested and booked into Juvenile Detention after shots were fired at the state liquor store in Heber City Sunday night.

According to Heber City Police, the 16-year-old Wasatch County boy was booked into Juvenile Detention on multiple criminal charges. A press release from the police reports that Wasatch County Dispatch received an alarm call just after 6:30 Sunday evening at the Utah State Liquor Store, located on East Gateway Drive near the intersection of highways 189 and 40.

Upon arriving on the scene, officers observed broken glass at this business, and set up a perimeter on the building. Heber City Police Lt. Jeremy Nelson says that during this time, officers reported that shots were fired.

“Our officers didn’t fire their weapons,” Lt. Nelson explained. “When they were on scene there was some shots fired during that time and our officers didn’t return fire.”

Lt. Nelson says it isn’t clear if the shots were targeted at the officers or not.

At the time several local departments responded including Wasatch County Sheriff, Utah State Parks, Utah Highway Patrol, Summit County Sheriff, U.S. Forest Service, Park City Police Department, and the Summit/Wasatch SWAT Team. 

A perimeter was set up to contain the area, and two persons of interest were detained during that time. Both were interviewed by investigators. Only one of them was charged and more charges may be coming for the teen. After interviewing the second individual, it was determined that this person was not involved in the incident and was released. 

“Yeah it seemed like just wrong place wrong time in an area that he was just there when this all went down,” Lt. Nelson said.

Police don’t believe that any other individuals were involved but they are still looking into that possibility. The State Liquor store is about a half mile from Wasatch High School.

“We have extra officers at all our schools today and we’ll be probably continuing to do that throughout the rest of the week.”

Lt. Nelson notes that the incident is still under investigation.