Fireworks allegedly spark fire in Sun Peak neighborhood
Neighbors outside in the Sun Peak neighborhood Monday say they heard a bang, saw blue smoke and then heard the fire engines.
The fire started behind Sun Peak’s clubhouse near the bottom of Mahre Drive, where a dirt trail begins, around noon Monday.
The Park City Fire District says the fire was mostly likely caused by fireworks and is investigating who sparked the fire.
The fire district said it burned about 1,000 square feet of grass, and no structures were threatened.
“We appreciate the quick response of the neighbors in calling 911,” Fire Marshal Mike Owens said. “We would like to remind people to follow the operating and safety instructions for any fireworks.”
Park City recently passed a ban on open flames within city limits, effective Thursday. That ban prohibits fireworks, campfires, tiki torches and fire pits within city limits. Sun Peak is not within Park City limits, but its HOA prohibits fireworks.
Firefighters have contained the fire on Mahre Drive, and no injuries were reported.