© 2022 KPCW

Spencer F. Eccles Broadcast Center
PO Box 1372 | 460 Swede Alley
Park City | UT | 84060
Office: (435) 649-9004 | Studio: (435) 655-8255

Music & Artist Inquiries: music@kpcw.org
News Tips & Press Releases: news@kpcw.org
Volunteer Opportunities
General Inquiries: info@kpcw.org
Listen Like a Local Park City & Heber City Summit & Wasatch counties, Utah
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
Local News

Summit County Residents Deal With Aftermath Of Lime Spill

Park City Fire District

Summit County is offering a helping hand to any residents whose vehicles are the worse for wear after a spill of toxic quicklime on Bitner Road recently.

As we have reported, a dump truck coming through the Bitner Roundabout on the afternoon of February 28th hit a boulder, which tore out the belly of the truck carrying 20,000 pounds of lime. The driver was not aware of what happened, allowing the contents to spill out along the road.

The Park City Fire District shut down the road, and a cleanup crew worked overnight after the incident.

The County Health Department said that any residents struggling to remove the residue from their vehicles can search online for cleaning solutions specifically for removing lime or calcium deposits.

Also, anyone wanting to put in an insurance claim should file a GRAMA request with the County Sheriff’s office to get the trucking company’s information.

Sheriff’s Lt. Andrew Wright said last week that so far, two people have filed GRAMA requests, and about a dozen others have called with inquiries.

He said that customarily, they charge $5 for a GRAMA request, but the office hasn’t been doing that in this case, since they’re not releasing much information.

Lt. Wright said for accidents they file a crash report with the state. A driver exchange form goes with that, which has a description of the vehicle, the name of the driver and the company, and their insurance information. He said they are giving out copies of that form.

Residents are invited to come to the Sheriff’s office at the Silver Creek Justice Center. Filling out a GRAMA form takes just a few minutes, the Lieutenant said.

If you’re unable to go there, call the Sheriff’s number at 615-3600, go to the Records Division, and you can get some information on submitting the request online.

Related Content