Quarry Mountain house fire caused by oily rags
Park City fire officials have determined oily rags sparked a house fire on Quarry Mountain Friday morning.
The Park City Fire District responded to the home on Mountain Top Drive around 5 a.m. Friday.
Crews reported flames on the back side of the large single-family home when they arrived.
Fire district spokesperson Michelle Anderson said all occupants and pets got out unharmed.
She said firefighters were able to knock down the flames within 15 to 20 minutes.
Anderson added the cause of the fire was determined to be oily rags, and damage to the home is estimated at about $400,000.
“We want to remind people that oily rags have the ability to spontaneously catch on fire," PCFD Fire Marshal Mike Owens said.
"It is important that they are disposed of properly, which could be as simple as putting them in a metal bucket. Read and follow the directions on the stain labels."