© 2023 KPCW

Spencer F. Eccles Broadcast Center
PO Box 1372 | 460 Swede Alley
Park City | UT | 84060
Office: (435) 649-9004 | Studio: (435) 655-8255

Music & Artist Inquiries: music@kpcw.org
News Tips & Press Releases: news@kpcw.org
Volunteer Opportunities
General Inquiries: info@kpcw.org
Listen Like a Local Park City & Heber City Summit & Wasatch counties, Utah
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

South Summit lone Wasatch Back school left in high school football playoffs

Park City loses on the road to Bountiful (pictured) 38-20 on October 29, 2021
Pete Gilwald
Park City loses on the road to Bountiful (pictured) 38-20 on October 29, 2021

High School Football Playoffs continued across the state Friday, and Wasatch Back schools had a tough day, with most schools coming home with losses to end their seasons.

Park City headed north to Bountiful Friday night to take on the Redhawks of Bountiful. After the Miners’ Stephen Shagen scored a field goal for the first points of the game, it was all the Redhawks offense. Bountiful scored 17 unanswered points before another field goal from Shagen as time expired in the first half. After the half, Bountiful scored another 17 unanswered points, including an interception return for 48-yards. Late in the fourth quarter, the Miners tried to come back with two quick touchdowns, including Blake Tabaracci rushing for an 86-yard touchdown. In the end, the Miners lose on the road to Bountiful 38-20 to end their first season in 5A.

Wasatch headed down I-15 to take on the Lehi Pioneers on Friday night. The Wasps scored the first set of points to make it 14-0 early in the second quarter. The Pioneers responded with two touchdowns late in the second quarter to send the game to the locker rooms tied at 14-14. Neither team scored in the third quarter, but Lehi did have a missed field goal. The fourth quarter was an action filled one. Lehi scored with about nine minutes in the game to make it 21-14. Quezon Villa and his offense scored with four minutes left in the game, to tie it 21-21. The Wasps then decided to go for an onside kick with 3:13 left in the game, and with both teams having all three timeouts. Wasatch recovered the ball near midfield. Villa and the Wasp offense marched down the field to score to take the lead 28-21. Lehi then received the ball on the kickoff. The Pioneer offense then responded with a touchdown with 59 seconds to go. Wasatch received the ball after the kickoff, and after going three-and-out, punted the ball with 29 seconds to go. Lehi then kneeled, to send the game into overtime. Wasatch was on offense first with Villa taking it himself on multiple plays to end up taking it in for the touchdown. The resulting point after attempt was blocked by the Pioneers’ special teams. Lehi then had their attempt and marched down to score to tie the game 34-34. Wasatch took their timeout to try and ice the kicker, but it was unsuccessful, and Lehi kicked, and barley made the extra point, to win, and to end the Wasps season 35-34.

It was also a defensive shootout aslo in Kanab where North Summit went to battle with the Cowboys. Kanab scored two touchdowns and two two-point conversions for 16 unanswered points in the first half. After halftime, the Braves scored their only points of the game, a 16-yard passing touchdown from Crimzon Crittenden to Ryker Johnson. Kanab scored one final touchdown in the fourth. The Braves end their season on a loss, 23 to 6 on the road.

South Summit was at home this week for the 2A Quarterfinals, looking to continue their perfect season, and head to the Semi-Finals. The Wildcats took on the Providence Hall Patriots from Herriman Friday afternoon. After a slow start, with the Patriots scoring the first points in the first quarter, South Summit had a huge second quarter with quarterback Kyler Sudweeks getting a passing and a rushing touchdown, and Treyton Sargent, rushing in for the Wildcats first points of the game. At the half, South Summit was in control 21-3. In the second half, the Wildcats put up two more touchdowns, to make the score 33-3. The Patriots scored two touchdowns in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, but it was not enough for the comeback. South Summit gets the win, continues their perfect season, and moves on to the 2A Semifinals at Southern Utah University. The Wildcats will play Beaver Saturday at 1pm. Beaver defeated Delta 28-7 on Friday.